Iran fired air defence batteries early Friday morning after reports of explosions near the city of Isfahan, the state-run IRNA news agency reported.
It remained unclear if the country was under attack. However, tensions remain high in the wider Middle East after Iran's unprecedented missile-and-drone attack on Israel. One government official suggested sites may have been targeted by drones.
Iranian semi-official FARS news is reporting that three explosions were heard near the military base where fighter jets are located in the northwest part of the city of Isfahan.
"The defense is activated in response to an object that is likely to be a drone," sources tell FARS news.
It has been said that the army radar was one of the possible targets and the windows of several office buildings were broken in this area, FARS reports.
The cause of the blasts are not yet known.
Reports of the explosion come hours after Iran’s Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian told CNN that if Israel takes any further military action against Iran, its response would be “immediate and at a maximum level.”
Iranian state media Press TV is reporting outgoing flights from several Iranian airports have been canceled, citing an Iranian official.
All flights going to Tehran, Isfahan and Shiraz had already been suspended, the director of Iran’s public relations for an airport company announced in an interview with state-run Mehr TV.