At least nine people, including two children, were wounded when a gunman opened fire on a splash pad in the Detroit suburb of Rochester Hills Saturday evening, authorities said.
The 42-year-old suspect was later found dead by suicide following a standoff at a home in a nearby community.
Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said in a news briefing the male suspect pulled up in a vehicle a little after 5 p.m. local time, got out and opened fire on the Brooklands Plaza Splash Pad, located at 1585 E. Auburn Rd.
The nine victims ranged in age from 4 to 78, Bouchard said. An 8-year-old boy and a 39-year-old woman, both from the same family, were in critical condition. The boy suffered a gunshot wound to the head, the sheriff said.
The rest of the victims were in stable condition with various gunshot wounds. At least four area hospitals were treating the victims.
After fleeing the shooting, the suspect, whose name has not been released, was discovered to have gone to a house within a half-mile of the splash pad, Bouchard said. Authorities surrounded the barricaded home in Shelby Township and a standoff ensued.
"We determined who we thought was potentially involved from some of the evidence on scene very quickly, went immediately there," Bouchard said in the earlier briefing. "A vehicle that matched what had been described as a vehicle leaving the scene was there. So we put up a quick perimeter. And deputies on scene apparently heard or saw the individual that they're trying to communicate with."
During the shooting, the gunman fired potentially 28 times and reloaded multiple times, Bouchard said. A 9mm Glock semi-automatic handgun was recovered from the scene, along with three empty magazines. CBS