Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has acknowledged for the first time that his military is conducting a cross-border offensive inside Russia's western Kursk region.

In his video address late on Saturday, Mr Zelensky said Ukraine's military was pushing the war onto "the aggressor's territory".

Kyiv launched its surprise attack on Tuesday, rapidly advancing more than 10km (six miles) inside Russia - the deepest raid since Moscow began its full-scale invasion of Ukraine in February 2022.

In Ukraine, the capital Kyiv and several other regions came under a Russian drone and missile attack in the early hours of Sunday, local officials said.

In his address, President Zelensky thanked Ukraine's "warriors", and said he had discussed the operation in Russia with the country's top military commander Oleksandr Syrskyi.

"Ukraine is proving that it can indeed restore justice and ensure the necessary pressure on the aggressor," he added

Russia has so far struggled to halt the Ukrainian advance, with more than 76,000 people evacuated from the Kursk region and a "counter-terror" regime imposed across three border areas.

This means authorities in Kursk, Belgorod and Bryansk regions can restrict the movement of people and vehicles and use phone tapping among other measures.

The fighting appeared to be ongoing on Saturday night, with Kursk Governor Aleksei Smirnov saying early on Sunday that there were injured people in a "treacherous" Ukrainian attack.

He earlier reported that 13 people were injured late on Saturday when the wreckage of a downed Ukrainian missile fell on a multi-storey building in the regional capital Kursk.

The governors of Russia's neighbouring Voronezh and Belgorod regions also reported a Ukrainian drone attack overnight. They did not mention any injuries.

BBC